Low VOC Paints and Water Based Paint & Coatings
Solvent borne coatings are the chrome bumpers, the buggy whips, the Edsels of the paint industry – they’re our dinosaurs. With each passing year fewer and fewer end-users are buying them and fewer and fewer supplier companies technically support and/or produce raw materials for them.
Even the congressional lobbying for their survival will dry up and eventually the few remaining users will be regulated out of existence. In its place are new and improved low VOC paints.
But that’s not a bad thing. Their main replacement is water borne coatings and environmentally friendly low VOC paint. They have come to the point in their development where they’re better than the solvent borne coatings in just about every respect. Here are a few of the benefits to using water based paint and water based coating products.
- Low VOC Paint: Low VOC paints are more environmentally friendly and can be formulated with low to zero HAPS; with lower VOC’s; lead and chrome free; with no heavy metals.
- Performance: They perform better because the resulting film offers better surface protection at thinner film thickness; they provide better corrosion protection with superior salt spray results; can easily pass standards as food grade coatings.
- Safety: They’re safer to handle. With water as the primary solvent they have higher flash points, thus less chance of fires and explosions.
- Cleanup: They’re easier (and cheaper) to clean up because water is the main cleanser.
- Cost: They cost less to transport due to the lower flammability the freight rates are lower.
Jamestown has been successfully producing these coatings since the mid 1960’s and each generation has improved. If you haven’t tried Jamestown’s water based coatings and water borne paint lately you owe it to your company to give us a try – you’ll like what we can show you and you'll love how low VOC paint helps the environment as well.